Net Solutions is committed to providing you with a reliable, robust, and secure internet experience. We are also committed to guarding your privacy and personal information. Net Solutions has obligations to protect your privacy under various Federal Government acts, including the Telecommunications Act 1997 and the Privacy Act 1998.
What information do we collect?
Net Solutions collects personal information from you that is necessary for it to perform its functions, set out below:
- Your name, address and contact details;
- Account name and account number held by financial institutions from which payments for services provided by Net Solutions are made;
- Records of communications between you and Net Solutions relating to services provided by Net Solutions to you;
- Information obtained as a result of credit checks which you have authorised;
- Billing information;
- Records of your Internet usage (see below for more details);
Internet usage records
These records comprise:
- If you use our mail server to send or receive emails the origin and destination of emails to and from your account and their size. These records are kept for a week in case you have a question about whether your email account is working properly, and to enable us to enforce our policy against spam email. The contents of emails are not kept after you have downloaded them, and can only be disclosed to law enforcement agencies;
- for non ADSL customers – your user name and your IP address for each internet connection session and its start and finish times and, unless you have caller ID switched off, the phone number used to dial up. These records are kept for up to 7 years to bill you where you are charged by volume and in case a question arises about your use of a service or whether a service was provided to you;
- for ADSL customers – your ID number and your IP address for each internet connection session and its start and finish times, the amount of data that passed over your service, and the port numbers and IP addresses of external services you connected to. These records are kept for up to 7 years to bill you where you are charged by volume and in case a question arises about your use of a service or whether a service was provided to you the names and sizes of all files uploaded and downloaded by you to and from our File Transfer Protocol
- servers and the time and date they were uploaded or downloaded. The files themselves stay on the servers until you delete them or cease to be a customer. These records are kept for 9 months in case a question arises about whether changes to your website were made and when; and
How Internet Usage Records are Recorded
- Our computers generate these records. We can also use them to troubleshoot internal problems.
How Internet Usage Records are Disclosed
- In addition to any other permitted disclosures under this policy, internet usage records will only be disclosed:
- (a) to you in the course of resolving an issue about services provided to you; and
- (b) to law enforcement agencies who appear to us to have a warrant or to have followed another statutory procedure that authorises us to disclose them, or as authorised by any law.
How does Net Solutions collect personal information?
When you first buy a service from us we will collect certain mandatory information from you such as your name (and in case of company applications the name of the directors of the company) and contact details. Your use of the service will generate usage and billing information which is automatically collected by our systems. We may also collect information from third parties such as:
- Credit providers or credit reporting agencies contacted by us (or by external service providers on our behalf) in the course of carrying out a credit check.
- Other entities who provide services to us related to the provision of services provided to you.
- Government agencies which administer laws regulating telecommunication service providers, or complaint resolution processes established under those laws.
How do we use your personal information?
Net Solutions respects your privacy. As a result, Net Solutions does not trade, rent or sell your personal information or corporate information. The primary purpose for which we use your personal information is to provide you with the services you have purchased from us. In the course of providing an internet service to you we may also use your personal information for related purposes including the following:
- Provisioning and connecting your service.
- Credit checking.
- Providing you with customer service.
- Billing you for that service.
- Investigating and resolving complaints and faults in relation to your service.
- Following up and payments you owe us.
We may also use your personal information to tell you about our other products and services provided by Net Solutions in conjunction with either our related bodies corporate or our business partners or associates. In delivering some services, Net Solutions contracts some various works to external service providers. Net Solutions may disclose personal information to these organisations, but only to the extent that allows those services to be delivered. Net Solutions may disclose your personal information to other telecommunications service and equipment providers, Net Solutions’s related corporate bodies, credit providers, credit reporting agencies, organisations to whom Net Solutions outsources services and domain registrars located locally or overseas.
Access to Personal Information
Generally, you have the right to see or obtain a copy of the personal information about you that we may hold. Net Solutions will handle requests for access to personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles. To request access to your personal information, please contact us on +61 3 83705344. We will ask you several questions so we can be sure to verify your identity, and then if possible provide you with the requested information over the telephone. If we cannot immediately provide you with the information you require we will send you an acknowledgement by email or post within seven days. We will respond to your request within 28 days. Depending on the information you request and how long it takes us to compile it and respond, we may charge you for the administrative costs of providing the information to you. There may be rare circumstances in which we may refuse to give you access to your personal information where giving you access:
- would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy.
- would prejudice any negotiations we are having with you.
- would prejudice an investigation of unlawful activity, or activities by law enforcement agencies.
- would prejudice billing you for that service.
If you believe that we hold personal information about you that you consider to be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date you should tell us by calling +61 3 83705344. We will amend any inaccurate, incomplete or out of date information.
How do we protect your personal information?
High technology is used to ensure that your sensitive information is secure and protected from unauthorised access or improper use.
From time to time, it may be necessary for us to review our Privacy Awareness Policy. We reserve the right to amend our Privacy Awareness Policy at any time and to notify you by posting an updated version on the Net Solutions website netsolutions.net.au
Privacy officer contact information
Net Solutions Pty Ltd
PO Box 491 North Melbourne VIC 3051
Phone: +61 3 8370 5344
Further Information You can obtain further information on privacy principles by visiting the Australian Privacy Commissioners webpage at http://www.privacy.gov.au